These are a Root Camp staple! When you hear beetroot, you don’t usually think of dessert, but these prove otherwise. Always a crowd pleaser, give these a go and impress everyone or eat them all yourself! This recipe is by our Founder Chef, Sylvain Jamois.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Grease and line a 20 x 25 cm shallow oven dish with baking parchment.
3. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
4.Whisk the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy.
5. Mix the chocolate and butter until they just come together.
6. Carefully fold the egg mixture into the chocolate. Now fold in the beetroot.
7. Add the salt to the flour and mix this carefully into the egg/chocolate mix. Be careful not to over mix as it will make the brownies tough.
8. Pour the batter into lined oven dish – it should be about 2.5 to 3 cm deep. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
9. Brownies are meant to be dense and moist; you can tell they are cooked when a knife inserted into the centre comes out almost clean with a few crumbs sticking to it.
10. Let the brownie cool on a rack before cutting.
NOTE: serve with whipped cream and fresh fruit, such as strawberries.