Rib of Beef with Artichokes and Mushrooms
We’re excited to be featuring this recipe from Valentine Warner’s book, What To Eat Next. It’s absolutely delicious!
750g large single rib of beef
olive oil or sunflower oil
285g jar of artichoke hearts in oil, well drained and cut into halves or quarters lengthways
150g oyster mushrooms or chanterelles, torn in half if bigger than your ear
2 cloves of good, hard garlic, with no green shoots (important as you are essentially eating it raw), very finely chopped
a small sprig of fresh tarragon, leaves picked
a small bunch of fresh curly parsley, very finely chopped
juice of ½ lemon
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
flaked sea salt
ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Please feel free to cook the beef outside over charcoal if you wish, as woodsmoke, a wonderful ingredient in itself, will only make a good thing better. Otherwise, choose an ovenproof frying pan big enough to hold the rib, and get it nice and hot over a medium high heat.
- Rub the rib all over with oil and season very generously on one side with plenty of sea salt and black pepper. Lay the seasoned side of the rib face down in the pan, where it should sizzle straight away. When it is well browned, turn the coloured side up and put the rib into the oven to finish to your preference, transferring it to a roasting tray if need be.
- Once it’s done, transfer the meat to a board to rest it, covering it with a little foil and a tea towel for 10 minutes or so.
- While the rib rests, pour the dripping out of the pan and reserve it for cooking at a later date. Wipe out the pan (although the mushrooms and artichokes would be nice fried in the beef fat, it is not the taste I want). Put the pan back over a medium heat and tip in about a tablespoon more oil.
- Add the artichokes and fry, tossing vigorously, until very well coloured. Now add the mushrooms and fry hard so that, by the time they are coloured, the artichokes are even more so.
- Throw in the garlic and herbs and stir them through. Toss again with the lemon juice and make sure the seasoning is correct.
- Serve the artichokes and mushrooms with the sliced beef, drizzled with the extra virgin olive oil.