Berry Compote and Lemon Sponge
The perfect summer accompaniment to a sponge dessert, it’s also great with ice cream or pancakes.
200g preferably fresh berries, but frozen berries can work as well
20g ginger, grated
sugar to taste
2 eggs, beaten
85g caster sugar
100ml vegetable oil
300g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
4 lemons, zest only
For the topping:
50g icing sugar
- Place a small saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the frozen winter fruit, stem ginger and the cinnamon. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pull off the heat, remove cinnamon stick add sugar to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Butter and line small square or round cake tins. Mix the egg, sugar, milk and oil in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and then add the lemon. Roughly mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the pre-prepared muffin cases.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Make the lemon drizzle topping by mixing together the sugar and lemon juice.
- Spoon the lemon drizzle mixture over the cooled muffins. If desired, decorate the muffins with sprigs of lemon thyme.